I'm tracking the ACTUAL costs on a spreadsheet here if you want to see how things are going..
Here's the basic budget
- + Buy a 2000-2004 Subaru with a 2.5 :: $1500
- + Engine refresh budget :: $500
- + Do the wiring harness myself (Gulp! If I get a stupidly cheap car I might change that plan).
- + Go with VanCafe / RMW conversion parts because they are just up the road, and I like them. $3200 estimate.
- + Misc & Unexpected :: $500
- - Sell my vanagon engine for $400
- - Make $600 out of parts on the Subaru
Total: Let's call it $5,000 considering I've already spent $100 on an oil pan (saving a bunch).
Now compared to that Bostig conversion that's really cheap for what I think is a much better amount of power. I don't remember where the Bostig comes in but say $7,500 to include skid plate and oil pan, then the new bits you have to buy, I think about $1k, then the engine and a refresh, say another $1200.. that's touching $10k. When their supercharger comes out, that's another $5k to get to the same kind of horsepower as the Subaru.
Putting that number of $5,000 out there right now and we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.